Saturday, August 17, 2013

Life Keeps Changing: Polivka updates...a bit long, pour a cup of coffee, tea or whatever will aid your reading.

It has been a while since I took time to blog. Life has been very full for our family over the last four months. LOTS of changes. Life never stay the same, that is for sure! If you are one of those who wants normalcy or a steady life and you have found it...I want to know what the secret is! :)

In May Dwight and I celebrated 25 years of marriage.
I remember when we were first married and thinking ahead to 25 years and feeling as if it was 'unattainable' or feeling as if I would be really old when we celebrated 25 years. Well, we did it! I must confess, on some days I do feel a bit 'old' but for the most part I feel the same...6 kids later and with many moves/events over the span of 25 years. I am very grateful to God for bringing Dwight and I together all those years ago. Who would have 'thunk' we would be where we are today, with the children we have, doing what we do every day? God is a faithful God and I praise Him for His provision of a man who loves Jesus, desires to serve Jesus and loves me as his wife and loves his family. Now, in case you are reading this and have some idea or sense we 'have it all together' and life seems too rosy for the Polivka family, think again! We have mostly raised five children (all who were at one time under the age of 6). The last two arrived as a set of twin boys. We have 3 teenagers still at home. We walked through the valley of death as we lost a son at birth, we have been jobless and penniless, faced dark days of depression, had times of discourse with church family and immediate family, faced times of doubt and confusion, moved several times (the last move being the most extreme and life altering) and the list could go on. However, God has been on His sovereign throne everyday of the last 25 years of our marriage. He knew beforehand each obstacle and each joy set ahead of us and has been the good Shepherd to lead us down the path. I can honestly say, I would not change anything over the last 25 years. I am looking forward, with a new anticipation to the next 25 years. What will we be like then? Who will God have in our lives and how will He be using us? Hmmm, does make me wonder!

In late June we took a road trip from OR to IL for our oldest son's (Caleb) wedding.  We stopped off in Colorado for a pastor's conference with pastors from a network of churches we are affiliated with. This is always a great time of encouragement, teaching and fellowship for the pastors and their wives. And of course, who would not love Estes Park, CO?? Beautiful!  -  One of the blessings of this stop was to visit our daughter RJ.
 Jerome and Kimra Dybzinski

She lives with a dear family (the Dybzinski Family) whom we have loved and been blessed by their friendship for almost 23 years. She attends school, works and serves/worships at one of our 'sister' churches in Ft. Collins, CO. She has been there a year now. God has plugged her right into the place He has prepared for her. She is happy, loving life, loving people, serving and being encouraged on a daily basis. Not sure what He has for her long term, but from this Mama's heart, I am at peace. I miss her terribly, long for her to be with us here, but it is evident God has her right where HE wants her. Who am I to fiddle with His plan. I actually have a bit of a 'spiritual envy' for how God is using her and growing her for His glory.
 

We left CO and continued on our trip. We arrived in IL about a week and half before the wedding. As a family, we had not been back to IL since Christmas two years ago. All of our family lived in IL (both sides) and our kids grew up with their cousins who were all staggered in ages with our kids. The trip for them was like a two week cousin reunion. Great fun for them and for me. I was incredibly blessed to see all those little people who grew up together now become bigger people interacting and enjoying one another. Something about having older kids, being all mature, 'adult-like', discussing life and having fun...it melts your heart! Those with little kids...just wait. These ages and stages are a blast. Worth every tiresome minute of raising little ones.

The Four Musketeers Cousins 

Anna and Stephen - Euchre!!


The Polivka cousins (missing Aime and of course the Groom - *day of the wedding

The wedding was on July 5 in Naperville, IL. The venue was Meson Sabika. Meson Sabika is a 5 star restaurant affiliated with Dwight's side of the family. It has been a part of our immediate family for 23+ years. Wonderful tapas, spanish cuisine. Caleb, the groom, slept on a blanket as a newborn at this restaurant as well as bent and smelled all the flowers as a cute toddler. All of our kids were raised here for family meals and gatherings. Due to God's provision, Caleb and Rae were able to use this special place as their wedding venue. The wedding was simply beautiful and the reception was a party to remember. So fun! I told my self I would enjoy this night without inhibitions and I did! I had a darn good time at my oldest son's wedding. :)





Speaking of changes, I must admit, I was not prepared for the full impact of giving our son over to another. I love my new daughter (in-law) but this is a huge deal in a mother's life. A pretty big deal to know your boy is now united with another for life. The whole thing took me a bit by surprise. Oh, I knew it was coming, but the moment it finally became reality, every snapshot of raising this boy flashes before you. I saw him being born, first steps, riding his bike for the first time, reading 'Green Eggs and Ham' to his little sister, catching his first fish, winning his first spelling bee, wrestling on the floor with his little twin brothers, first day of high school, major surgery when he turned 16, graduating from high school and crazy road trips with his other little sister. These images quickly flash before my eyes and I know I am his Mama but this Mama has to let go. Not an easy thing. God is good. He has given our boy a beautifully talented, lovely girl who adores our boy. I have no doubt she will love him and treat him with gentleness and kindness.  However, it is a change in the cycle of life. We give birth to these children, raise them by the Lord's power and we pray they will go out and marry and begin the cycle again. Our boy has done well! We praise God for his new wife and look forward to what God will do in their lives. I am thankful. (I am a bit concerned I have to do this 5 more times!!)

My girls!! RJ, Rae and Anna

We came home to Oregon (drove 37 hours straight) and had a slight reprieve with just our girls home. Then we hosted some delightful friends (Jared and Natalie) from CO. We showed them around parts of Oregon and shared what we love so much about this place with them. Lovely visit!

The 'honeymooners'  then came for about five days to visit. It was very special to have them end out their honeymoon and vacation with us. We felt privileged.





About a week or so went by and we drove full speed ahead in preparing for another BIG change in our lives. My parents moved here on August 7th. They moved from IL to OR. Crazy!! My father was approached my Western Mennonite School (where our kids attend) to be a Bible teacher. After much prayer and the Lord's leading, they took off for the 'wild, wild west'. My brother and his wife traveled west with them in the yellow Penske. We thoroughly enjoyed showing John and Karen around parts of OR and sharing the bounty Oregon has to offer. 



My parents live in a cute little house about 15 min from us and about 5 min from the school. We are so excited to have them here by us. We have lived in OR for 4 years now without any family. God has been so gracious to give us 'church family' to fill in the voids when needed. We have adjusted well! However, to have grandparents once again attend sporting events, graduations, drama performances, and concerts will be incredibly cool! To have these two wonderful people support our kids in this manner is a blessing, not to mention the every day interaction with real life, joys and struggles. We are blessed. We feel like God has granted us more than we ever imagined. (Eph. 3:20-21). Please pray for my parents as they adjust to this big change in their lives. Pray God will equip them for every good work.
  Mom and Dad in their new house!

Lastly, and definitely not least, we feel God will be finalizing a new family member for the Polivka family. Very soon we will know for sure if a little guy is our new son and brother. If not, we will rest in God's plan. However, all roads are moving to the same boy. To protect him and our family, I will not give out his name, but Lord willing, in the next few weeks we will know if this boy will be our son. The adoption process has moved quickly towards him and we are excited with a bit of fear and trembling. We feel very called to adopt. We have complete peace in the process. But...we are very aware of how our lives will change, morph and become something completely different. This boy (or whomever God has already purposed for our family) desires a 'forever family'. We desire to be this FOREVER FAMILY to this boy. He will be the youngest in our family, he will be the little brother, he will be adjusting to us and we adjust to him but most of all, he will be our son. We will be his family. This is a serious thing in our family and every family member is ready and up for how God will use them to care for this boy. Make no mistake, we will be the ones changed and blessed by him. This is a picture of the gospel. We have been adopted into the family of God by His mercy and grace...unconditional. We will adopt this boy into our family with grace...unconditional. We pray he will come to know Jesus as he lives and loves us and as we live with him and love him. PLEASE pray for our family. We need our 'brothers and sisters' support, encouragement and prayer.

We encourage all those who would like to add another book to their reading list, to add (and read!!) Adopted for Life by Russell D. Moore. This book has been life changing and has opened our eyes to Spiritual lessons and life lessons. Adoption is not for everyone, but everyone can support adoption. Please consider reading this book.

*Final updates on the adoption to come soon

I am at the end of the Polivka updates. So many changes this year! God is good. God is sovereign. We are not perfected and continue to work on 'stuff' in each of our lives, but we are blessed. There are some days I look at the world and all the evil happening and I say, "Lord Jesus come quickly." For whatever reason, the Lord has me and my family, living this life for now, doing our thing. He has plans set for my family and for me. (Jer. 29:11).  We pray He uses us for His glory and for His purpose. We love our family, love OR, love our church family, (Creekside Community Church) and praise God for the school (WMS) our kids are blessed to attend. Yes! God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment